Thursday, February 12, 2009

Peoria & Back Again

Over to Peoria and back this week. Was a challenging drive back to Columbus Weddnesday afternon as it was raining and the wind was gusting to 40-50mph.

Going over there is good for my Karma in the big picture. Being with customers and talking about the real world ( or at least their version of real world ) is a refreshing change from Coporate HQ here in Columbus. It appears that the Mining business overall is in better shape than much of the rest of the economy.

Going inside a customers operations and seeing the people is generally refreshing. While you are always selling engines the reality is you are mostly dealing with people. 80% of the discussions are life issues and 20% has something to do with Engines.

Time was that I wanted to take over the world ...or at least a chunk of it. I've figured out that I have enough money and not enough life. Keep the priorities straight....for the moment I've got the balance about right.

Do you?

1 comment:

  1. Hi David, I like your comments about sales being 80% life probs/20% actual sales. My hub's is bus dev & has had the same experience. We're also working on that work/life balance.
    If you're wondering how I am here, I noticed you on LinkedIn - I searched "Cummins, Spear" I was actually looking for Robert Spear who worked for Cummins in Birmingham AL. Any relation?

    ReplyDelete